(PresidentialHill.com)- According to The Hill, a federal judge ruled that a New Mexico official was ineligible to hold office because he took part in the Capitol riot. As a result, the official was fired from his position.
Couy Griffin was removed from his position as Otero County commissioner after New Mexico District Court Judge Francis J. Mathew determined that, even though Griffin did not engage in any direct acts of violence during the riot, he did trespass on a prohibited area and “normalized and incited violence,” making him ineligible to hold any federal or state office under the 14th Amendment.
Noah Bookbinder, the president of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, which sued Griffin after his conviction for trespassing, said that this is a historic win for accountability for the January 6th insurrection and the efforts to disrupt the peaceful transfer of power in the United States.
Bookbinder said this ruling makes clear that any current or past public officials who swore an oath to uphold the U.S. Constitution and then took part in the January 6th uprising can and will be removed from office and prevented from serving in government service for their acts.
Griffin expressed his shock at the decision. According to him, the civil case that started it was unfair and “pure politics.” He asserts that the plaintiffs in the lawsuit were from liberal counties in the state and had the backing of liberal organizations. Additionally, he claimed that his association with former President Donald Trump made him a target.
“I don’t believe it’s fair to accuse me of insurrection.”
Griffin said he never intended to participate in an uprising or a violent mob. He planned to travel to Washington, D.C., on January 6 because he thought there was a chance that the elections had been compromised.
The court ruled that Griffin’s organization, Cowboys for Trump, “played a crucial role in Stop the Steal mobilization activities” prior to Jan. 6, 2021. The court claims that Griffin is seen in footage from that day “stirring up” Trump fans against Mike Pence. Additionally, there is a video showing Griffin breaking many security barricades without authorization and inciting riots with a bullhorn.
Griffin claims he was not aggressive that day while at the Capitol and was not trespassing at the time. Griffin will appeal the misdemeanor trespassing conviction he received from a criminal court on January 6.