Truck Tire Kills Teen After Coming Loose on Interstate

This past Sunday, a tragic accident took the life of an 18-year-old Kentucky girl, Lauren Collins. The mishap occurred when a loose tire from a nearby truck crashed through the windshield of her vehicle, law enforcement officers report.

Collins was heading south on I-75 shortly after midnight on July 16th when a tire from a truck heading in the opposite direction struck her car, stated a Boone County Sheriff’s office press release. The statement elaborated that the initial investigation suggests that the tire detached from a dual pickup truck, spiraling uncontrollably before hitting a concrete barrier and colliding with Collins’ vehicle.

Following the accident, members of the Walton Fire Department arrived on the scene and successfully freed Collins from her vehicle. The severity of her injuries was life-threatening, as detailed in the press release. Emergency personnel promptly transported her to the University of Cincinnati Medical Center. Despite their best efforts, Collins ultimately succumbed to her injuries.

In a heartfelt Facebook post, Mona Ostendorf, a family relative, pleaded to keep the family in your prayers, especially the Collins/Marsh family. 

Meanwhile, authorities are still hunting for the vehicle that shed its tire on the northbound side of the highway. They’re appealing to the public for any information related to the incident.

In a similar event, gripping dashcam footage captured the split-second when a car collided with a tire detached from a pickup truck on a California freeway.

As Anoop Khatra was navigating the left lane, her dashcam recorded a Kia Soul unintentionally hitting a tire that had just dislodged from a passing pickup truck. The footage depicts the pickup truck’s front left tire detaching as the Kia attempted to overtake it. The impact sent the Kia hurtling into the air before it somersaulted multiple times.

The surprising incident transpired in the Chatsworth neighborhood of Los Angeles on the Ronald Reagan Freeway. Miraculously, according to the Los Angeles Police Department, the event didn’t result in severe injuries.