(PresidentialHill.com)- Last week, the Wall Street Journal reported that the FBI will likely search former Vice President Mike Pence’s home in the coming days to look for additional classified documents.
In late January, CNN reported that about a dozen classified documents were found in the former vice president’s Indiana home during a search conducted by an attorney.
The search was done “proactively” after the multiple reports of classified records being found in President Biden’s Wilmington home and his old office at the Penn Biden Center in Washington, according to sources who spoke with CNN.
The documents found in Pence’s home are being reviewed by the FBI and the Justice Department’s National Security Division.
In a letter to the National Archives, Greg Jacob, a representative for the former VP said that on January 16, Pence engaged outside counsel to review the records stored in his home. During that review, the lawyer found a “small number of documents that could potentially contain sensitive or classified information,” ABC News reported.
According to Jacob’s letter, the lawyer could not provide a detailed description of the materials found because when realizing they contained classification markings, the lawyer did not review them.
The documents were “immediately secured” in a safe “pending further direction on proper handling from the National Archives,” Jacob wrote.
In a second letter to the National Archives, Jacob, who was Pence’s top lawyer in the Trump administration, said the former vice president agreed to the Justice Department taking possession of the documents.
Aides also searched Pence’s office at Advancing American Freedom in Washington but found no government documents at all, let alone classified documents.
According to the Journal’s report last Thursday, sources say officials from the Justice Department are in discussions with Pence’s legal team about arranging a consensual search of his home.