Idaho Police Can’t Explain How Roommates Slept Through Murders

( Idaho police cannot explain how two roommates slept through the gruesome murders of four others inside the same home, according to Newsweek. Four students attending the University of Idaho were stabbed multiple times and discovered in their beds late one morning on November 13.

The murders of Ethan Chapin, 20, Kaylee Goncalves, 21, Xana Kernodle, 20, and Madison Mogen, 21, have drawn national attention as few details surrounding the killings have been revealed or discovered.

Moscow Police Chief James Fry could not yet answer how two roommates in the home stayed asleep at the time of the murders, two of which occurred on the second floor and two that occurred on the third floor. He said that that information is now part of the investigation.

The two individuals, whose identities are private at the time of this report, were each out separately and returned home at around 1 a.m. Less than 12 hours later, at 11:58 a.m., one of the surviving roommates phoned 911 to report the murders. Police confirm that the killer was not the one who made the call.

Two of the victims, Goncalves and Mogen, had reportedly been out that night at a bar called The Corner Club in downtown Moscow at around 1:30 a.m. before they were seen at a “Grub Truck.” They were then reportedly driven home by a “private party,” arriving at around 1:45 a.m.

Kernodle and Chapin reportedly arrived at around the same time. Chapin did not live there but was just visiting, police say.

The surviving roommates, a male in a white hoodie caught on surveillance footage at the food vendor that Goncalves and Mogen went to, and the “private party” that drove them home, are not suspects. Police have said that Goncalves and Mogen made calls to the same unidentified male on the night of the murders.

Moscow Police Captain Roger Lanier said that the autopsy reports show that the victims were stabbed multiple times, and none were sexually assaulted.

The incident has reportedly shaken up the community and, due to the complexity of the crime, it will take time to resolve, according to Police Chief Fry.