Controlled Demolition of Portion of Baltimore Bridge Delayed

The removal of a 4,000-ton stretch of the Francis Scott Key bridge was successfully demolished on Monday using explosives after bad weather over the weekend delayed demolition.

Explosive devices, which were placed in cuts made in the steel and covered with heavy tape, detonated within seconds of each other.

Video footage of the demolition showed large pieces of steel falling into the water following the controlled detonation.

The demolition comes nearly seven weeks after the cargo ship Dali collided with a bridge support and caused the collapse that killed six road workers and shut down the Port of Baltimore.

Officials maintain that the plan to reopen the main channel to the Port of Baltimore is still on schedule for the end of the month.

US Army Corps of Engineers Lt. Gen. Scott Spellmon said Monday’s demolition was “an important milestone” in clearing the main channel.

According to the Army Corps of Engineers, the demolition process used was the safest and fastest way to remove the massive amount of wreckage that was pinning the container ship.

Throughout the demolition, a crew of 20 remained aboard the Dali. According to US Coast Guard Rear Adm. Shannon Gilreath, the crew was on board to ensure that the ship remained “safe and operational.”

The next step in clearing the channel is removing the cargo ship, according to Army Corps of Engineers Col. Estee Pinchasin. The removal of the Dali and reopening of the channel is expected to take a few days.

Col. Pinchasin said with the wreckage demolished, the Dali would be “refloated.” Salvors meanwhile will either lift the wreckage with a grabber or further cut the pieces to make them easier to remove.

This week, the Maryland Department of Natural Resources released body cam footage showing the initial police response on the night the Key Bridge collapsed.

The video shows officers traveling to the wreckage by boat and speaking with the crew of the Dali.